Adjust their crop types and varieties to take advantage of or reduce risk from favourable or potentially damaging seasonal weather anomalies.
- Pre-order more or less fertiliser (depending on soil moisture) and (in the case of a damp summer) fungicides.
- Farmers may also decide to delay or bring forward their spring sowing operations.
- Bring forward winter or spring-time planting to avoid adverse late summer drought.
- Choose a daylight insensitive or spring-time crop based on crop yield potential in context of seasonal growth options for various stages of plant development.
- Consider crop maturation and field conditions for harvesting and timing of harvest staff and contracting.
- Improve N uptake efficiency through application in conjunction with sub seasonal forecasts for rainfall and temperature optimal conditions.
- Consider haymaking times and grass growth potential and second cutting options based on regularly updated (every ten days) spring and summer seasonal forecasts.